This year we will be offering both the Leon M. Abbott Scholarship through the Supreme Council AASR-NMJ and the NYS Council of Deliberation Scholarship through the NYS Scottish Rite Charities Corporation.
Leon M. Abbott Scholarship
In 1922, a college scholarship program was inaugurated with an initial appropriation from Supreme Council funds. In 1932, Leon M. Abbott bequeathed additional funds to establish an Education and Charity Fund. The first Abbott scholarship was awarded in 1951.
NYS Council of Deliberation Scholarship
The New York State Council of Deliberation Scholarships are open to any NY Scottish Rite Mason, his child or grandchild and any member of the NYS Masonic Youth Groups.
Be certain to follow the guidelines on the applications and adhere to all deadlines. We do not want to see qualified candidates’ applications rejected due to clerical errors or incomplete documentation.
Please be certain to use only the current application form. THIS IS THE ONLY FORM TO BE USED THIS YEAR: USE APPLICATION FORM TITLED “2023-Abbott-Application”
Some of our members continue to use old forms that are outdated.
Please discard all old applications. Applications submitted on previously issued forms will be returned to the valley submitting them.
PLEASE NOTE: This year we will be using one form for the Abbott and NYSCOD Scholarships.
Eligibility: Those meeting any of the following criteria are eligible to apply for the 2020-2021 Abbott Scholarship program for undergraduate studies:
- A Scottish Rite Mason of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction
A student directly related (bloodline or by legal means) to a Scottish Rite Mason in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, a
Scottish Rite Mason, or a member of a youth organization sponsored by the Masonic fraternity in the Northern Masonic
Jurisdiction who is:
- A high school senior, currently accepted at an accredited trade school who has attained a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- A high school senior, or undergraduate, or graduate student currently enrolled at an accredited college or university, who has attained a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants should print the form, complete it, and mail it to the appropriate Valley secretary. Applicants MUST submit their application to the Valley of the sponsor of the applicant.
2023 Abbott Application
Remember that all applications and supporting documentation must be submitted and signed by the valley scholarship committee chairman. Incomplete or unsigned forms will be returned to the valley.
Supporting documentation MUST include the following:
- a. at least one confidential letter of recommendation;
- b. the most current college transcript;
- c. the most current copy of the FAFSA form;
- d. Students must have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale to qualify.